St Andrew’s Hospital offers a comprehensive stomal therapy service for patients who have had surgery resulting in an abdominal stoma.
Our Stoma Care nurses aim to support patients and their family - before and after surgery - to enable the patient to enjoy a full and active life.
Outpatient appointments can be made by direct contact with St Andrew’s; no medical referral is required.
In most cases your doctor will refer you to the Stomal Therapy Clinic before your admission to hospital. When this is not possible, a Stomal Therapy nurse can arrange a visit.
Reimbursement of fees
Insured patients should contact their Health Fund to determine benefit levels. Uninsured patients should enquire about fees when making an appointment.
If you need to be admitted
A visit to the Stomal Therapy Clinic will provide you with:
- information and counselling
- advice about stomal appliances
- an appropriate position for your stoma
A Stomal Therapy nurse will visit you regularly while you are in hospital to:
- teach you how to manage your stoma
- ensure you have a suitable, comfortable stomal appliance fitted
- arrange the future supply of stomal appliances
- organise follow up care for when you leave hospital
Follow up care
You will be given an appointment to attend the Stomal Therapy Clinic after you leave hospital for:
- assistance with your stoma and skin care
- evaluation of your stomal appliance
- counselling and problem solving
Should you experience any difficulties once you return home you are welcome to consult the Stomal Therapy Clinic nurse by phone or schedule an appointment by calling 8408 2164.